🌱Eco design and sustainable technology have come a long way in the last few years. Here are a few ways to reduce your energy bills and make your home more green:
• Insulate – Glazing, wall insulation and flooring like concrete that absorbs/retains heat are all great ways to reduce your heating/cooling bills. There are now a host of sustainable materials to choose from too.
• Dig Deep – earth provides natural soundproofing and insulation, so sinking your home into the ground, or surrounding it partially with a berm, can be an eco-friendly way to reduce noise pollution and regulate indoor temperatures.
• Go off Grid – Despite the initial outlay, installing things like solar or photovoltaic (PV) panels and rainwater tanks will save you £££ in the long run and mean you no longer have to worry about spiralling utility costs
• Optimize Your Location – Use your plot/home’s natural assets, such as underground wells, north-facing rooms and natural elevation to your advantage. Work with, rather than against, nature to heat spaces, enhance views or create a free water supply.
• Think Vertically – Make efficient use of roof/attic spaces to either bring in more natural light (skylights), grow plants/vegetables (roof terrace/garden) or extend living space (attic conversions).